September 5, 2011


In 1787, the General Court of Massachusetts and George Washington provided $750 to begin work on not only Maine's first lighthouse, but the first built by the United States Government. The completion of the project resulted in Portland Headlight. The jagged coastline rises sharply to the base of the light. Ocean mist, rising from white foam, splashes against the shore. Rosebushes line the property. This is Maine.

National Register of Historic Places: #73000121.


No comments: